Saturday, February 7, 2009

Whistle While You Work

I grew up on a farm. One of my most lasting memories of my father was listening to him talk to the animals in the barn and whistle as he did the chores. I know that Dad didn’t really want to become a farmer. It was not his career of choice. He didn’t enjoy the daily drudgery of taking care of animals or growing crops; but after high school his Mother was counting on him to run the family farm—so he did.

I never spoke to Dad about this, but his simple habit of whistling taught me a lifelong lesson. While you might not like what you have to do to contribute to your family; you can do it with joy.

My mom also sets this example by crocheting hundreds of afghans that she happily gives away. Similarly, my mother-in-law talks to the food she cooks. It is hilarious to watch her pat an uncooked turkey reassuringly and say, “You are a good turkey-bird. We will enjoy you!”

During these tough times, try modeling the “joy of contributing” more often than the stress you feel. Your kids will quietly notice.

No comments: